Monday, May 9, 2016

I'm Terrible At Resting

I have a terrible time resting. I can wear exhaustion well, but when it comes time to actually rest? It eludes me. That's why God gave me a Mark in my life. 

This Mother's Day was no different. The day before, I worked for 9 hours, at the Grand Opening of my hubby's work.  Then, Saturday night, I crashed, and woke up in a fog on Sunday morning. I woke up to a son who whispered, "Mommy, I made you something." 

I allowed my eyes to open, fuzziness was all I saw, since my contacts weren't in yet. But as my eyes adjusted, I saw this:


Our 5 year old, completely on his own, prepared gourmet cereal for Mark and I, arranged it beautifully on a gold platter, and added an apple. (He actually didn't even know it was Mother's Day!)

It absolutely melted me. 

Then Mark went out with the kids, so I could get some more sweet, sweet sleep, before the rigmarole of Church began. 

I came to, a short time later, and checked my phone, for the time. 

10:35 a.m.

I quickly jumped out of the bed, ran to the bathroom, to shake loose old curls, and wipe off leftover eye makeup.

I walked out, into the living room, to a very calm home.

"Babe, we need to get ready for church! I can throw shoes on the kids' feet, you go get dressed for work!"

"We're not going," he said casually.

"I thought maybe we could just rest today, since we had such a busy weekend."

My heart rate quickened, as thoughts started racing through my Type-A, planner brain. They fell out of my mouth as soon as they entered my brain.

"But babe, the kids are good to go, I can get ready on the next 5 minutes, and so can you, we could make it! I really wanted to go! We're learning about honoring your parents... I wanted to hear that message."

"I know honey," he said calmly.

"But I think what's best for our family today, is just to rest."

Rest? I've already rested. I'm good to go! 

Or so I thought...

We proceeded to move at a snail-like pace. One where I just sat by my husband, and marveled at the whirlwind, that is our children.

Then, Mark asked the kids to come to the living room, and asked them to share their favorite thing about me, and also their favorite memory:

Khai (5): I love how Momma always plays games with us. And she makes us laugh!

Daylon (4): I love how Momma tickles us to make us laugh! And when she takes us on dates!

Asher (3): I like when Momma chases me, and tickles me! 

Ellyn (1.5): I yuv you Mommeee!

Then, Mark said his favorite thing:

"I love that you were really the first person in my life to show me true love. You encourage me when I'm weak, and pray for my insecurities. Even at a young age, you loved me, unconditionally. I'm thankful for that."

(Go ahead and picture me ugly crying on the couch, as I looked at what God has given me.)

And I want this to be my main point:

Had I not rested, I wouldn't have ever heard those encouraging words. Those words that can build up my foundation that I stand on, as a wife and Momma. 

Am I a sinner for not going to church? 

No. 

(Though, some would staunchly disagree.)

Did I get the adorable picture of me with all my kids, dressed exquisitely, outside our church, to post to Instagram? 

No.

(And that's okay, too.)

But I did get this picture:


And this one:



Just a Momma, with her pile of kids. No make up, leftover hair, on a Sunday. 

And it was wonderful.

I took my 3 boys on a date to Zaxby's, to pick up lunch for the family, then we took Mark to work.

We came back home for Happy Nappy's, and had a quiet day.

The only time I was on my phone, was to make this video:

https://youtu.be/3qK8FgoZ4fI

Something God has put on my heart, as a way to encourage ALL Momma's, in all walks of life.

It's not a perfect video, there are typos on my cards, and I'm glad for that, too. Because I'm not perfect.

And I don't ever want to be perfect.

Its overrated.

Especially for Momma's. We Moms need rest, more than we need the perfect makeup tutorial, or perfect outfit.

I didn't even wish my Mom and Mother in law a Happy Mother's Day.

(Go ahead, gasp, and clutch those pearls.)

But they know I love them. And if they knew the chill day I had with my family, they'd be just fine without a Facebook message, or text.

Because my Mother's Day wasn't a Happy Mother's Day. 

It was a Joyful Mother's Day, because I rested.

Then, I went to see God's Not Dead 2 with a group of beautiful ladies. 

And so literally, I sat in a movie theatre chair, and ate nachos without sharing, while slurping on a $5 Mr. Pibb. It was so wonderful. 

So, that's all I've got.

Just remember to rest.

"Come to Me, all you who are weary, and heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28


28 comments:

  1. Good morning Sierra. I am still crying. I am one of the moms whose dream of being a mom is gone. I'm 46 years old with no explainable reason why I can't carry to term. There have been soooooooooooooooo many losses at four plus months that I've given up. I can't even pretend to have any hope.

    Thanks for the encouragement and have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First things first you're sweet five year old is a gem! Clearly you and your husband are raising him well!

    Love the sweet video you put together. What a perfect reminder. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there *I* go with the typos, haha

      Doesn't change my point though :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your encouraging words!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had an enjoyable Mother's Day-you deserve it because you seem like a totally awesome mom!You pour your heart into your kids, and I think it's great how you are also trying to encourage others too! Hope everything's going good with the opening of the store! I'm always praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for that, Sierra~ You are an inspiring woman~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that, Sierra~ You are an inspiring woman~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for encouraging me! You're a blessing!

      Delete
  6. Sierra I've watched your video more time than I can count now and it still makes me cry tears of sorrow for my mom who struggled with infertility for years and after many miscarriages final got her gift from God (me) but was unable to carry anymore. But it also made me cry tears of happiness for you and all the super mom's out there living and teaching their children every day. I hope to be a super mom someday but for now I will just watch and learn from all the ones around me. Thank you for sharing your love with the world and I know that with loving and caring moms like you I can do it too. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day and God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! Thank you for your encouraging words! It sounds like your Mom is amazing!

      Delete
  7. Sierra, I loved that how you said that if you had not rested, you would have not heard those encouraging from your husband and kids. I absolutely love reading your blog!! Keep posting!!
    I know you always say this, so, KEEP MATCHING, Sierra. Keep matching and so will I.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a joyful blessing you are! Thank you for this message and for the amazing video you made. In this late season of life, I am a great "rester"...I rest like it's my job. No longer do I feel guilty. It's the rest that replenishes my wilting spirit to persevere the next day with new energy and enthusiasm. With your big family, it is understandable that you don't get that opportunity to rest often. Rest when you can. Be still in Him. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You truly inspire me Sierra. I love reading your blog. Keep doing what you are doing because you are amazing at it. I admire your faith and determination. You are an inspiration to us all...
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're encouraging words are truly a gift to me! Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Sierra,

    I know this is an odd place to bring up this topic, but I wanted to ask your advice on something. This will be my first election in which I can vote, but I am so torn about who to vote for. I want to vote the way Jesus would if he lived in America right now, but it seems like there are no good candidates who remotely support what He supports. I know politics is a very controversial and often rather personal topic, so feel free to not respond if it makes you uncomfortable or you prefer not to share, but I really respect your opinion and am curious what you'll be doing this coming November. Thank you so much.

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey,

      I'll be doing these few things:

      1. Praying by myself, and with my husband, asking God for wisdom.

      2. Paying attention to each candidates actions, and stance on issues.

      3. Seeking wise counsel.

      4. Determine which candidate leans more towards a country founded on God, as opposed to money, and which one truly will be by the people, for the people. I'll not make an informed decision, until needed. But will being paying VERY close attention! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. I appreciate your response and have to trust that God's will will be done even if I vote for the "wrong" candidate! :)

      Delete
    3. Don't forget you can always write someone in... I know a lot of people seem to think that is just throwing away a vote but remember, why choose the lesser of two evils when you can choose good?

      Delete
  11. I am a mama to three sweet blessings and the way you are as mama with your littles is so encouraging to me. The patience you have with them is something I strive for. My oldest just turned three and for 12 days I had three kids two and under. I love love love being a mama and there are often days my patience runs thin. I would love to just spend a day with you, soaking up all your wisdom. Learning things from other mamas with young babies is something my heart aches for. And also being able to just know someone with young littles who know what crazy town is like haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, you're precious.

      I fail, sometimes everyday. But reminding my self that just because I fail, doesn't not mean I'm a failure. God's grace is sufficient, even for a worn out Momma. And that is a miracle in and of itself!

      Keep marching, sweet Mama. I'm praying for you!

      Delete
  12. Haha <3 I totally get this! As a momma of 6 kiddos, 3 girls first right in a row and then 3 boys right in a row, I know how important rest is. It is so much fun to watch the beautiful whirlwind that are my precious children. My girls are 9, 7.5, and 6. My boys are 4, 2,and 2 months. My hubby and I are loving this life that our heavenly Father has given us! His timing is the best. We didn't know if we would ever have one child and now we have been blessed with 6. We were married for 8 years b4 God blessed us with our first child. We got married young but we were 27 and 28 when our first daughter was born. Thank you so much for this wonderful reminder Sierra. I really enjoy watching you on counting on as a friend, wife, and mama too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe! Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement!

      Delete
  13. So cute of him that he made your day very special. Looking for an amazing event venue Chicago for celebrating my parent’s anniversary. They have been with me all the time and supported me. Now, I feel it’s my turn to make them feel special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PRECIOUS!

      Good for you for pouring back into your parents!

      Delete