Sunday, June 12, 2016

My Growth Chart

Before I begin diving into my past, I wanted to share with you my present. The current life I live. The peace, the chaos, the joy, and the messiness.

I have found great peace in gardening. It took me close to 3 months to breathe that deep breath of satisfaction of "It is finished!" And of course, by finished, I mean just the beginning. Once the plants are in place, the signs are marked, and the watering begins, the plants begin to grow.



Before I sat down to write, I decided to see what my flip calendar's inspirational quote was for today. My husband usually has to update it for me, and today was no different. I hadn't even glanced at it since June 1st. But today's seemed fitting. Especially as I sit curled up under my covers, listening to the rain pelt my window, and the thunder boom around me. I'm breathing deep, going to that peaceful moment, where I simply say "Lord, here I am. It's not much, but I know it's enough." 

Does anyone else feel like this? Maybe I'm on my own, here, but I feel like I'm in a constant battle. The battle to soldier on for God, and the battle to selfishly retreat, curl up in a ball, and say "I'm done." The past 3 months have been a whirlwind. I have watched children of God give up. Retreat, and say "I'm DONE!" It defeated me. If we're being completely honest, I have ugly cried more in the past 3 months, than I'd care to admit. This soldiering stuff is hard. I've also watched children of God suit up. They ALLOWED the enemy to pelt them with piercing daggers. They winced in pain, and kept marching. They gave up control, and watched people RUN towards the cross. All because of the strength of their testimony. 

As I've been in this whirlwind, my peace, and my comfort?



















All of this. A growing garden, and growing babies. My house that has been deep cleaned, imploded on itself, and deep cleaned again. A husband that loves, unconditionally. One who suits up, works hard, and still finds time to invest in us. 





This garden is where I come when the day is too hard. Watering plants gives. me. peace. Because I know I'm nourishing something. In a world that tries to choke us into distraction, I retreat to this garden, and find life. And yesterday, as the dishes were piled up, and the laundry was growing legs and arms, I stopped, and made signs for my garden. Because while I'm giving life to these plants, why not speak life, also?






My potatoes are growing (like crazy!).



These tomato plants smell heavenly. I planted spicy globe basil around them, to get rid of insects, so it smells like a pizza shop in New York. I learned that trick from a very Godly woman, who is an expert gardener. My old neighbor, Michele. 





These chives came all the way from Iowa! My uncle Ray who grows spinach leaves as big as my hand, packed these beauties in an old ice cream container, and sent me on my way, after a very FULL weekend of destroying my van (I hit a deer. The Iowa kind. Aka: HUGE.), throwing a surprise party for my Great Grandma, and finally journeying home with my Momma, and 5 kiddos. 





The vibrant green plants for the zucchini, and the vibrant yellow plants for the crookneck squash makes my heart skip a beat. Yes, I'm that nerdy.


A tribute to my Handsome Man. A pepper palace to support his love for all things HOT. The boys have loved watching them get bigger and bigger! And I just can't wait to make our first batch of salsa, with these beauties. 



Potatoes again! Purple and white! Last time I grew purple potatoes, I sliced them very thinly, and made purple potato chips. Mark chuckled, as I bounced up and down in excitement: "But babe, THEY'RE PURPLE!!! How stinking CUTE IS THAT!?!?!" "It's cute! Can we eat them now?" He asked playfully. 





The bell peppers, and the one that Daylon discovered. The PURPLE one! My absolute favorite color, and the one I cannot WAIT to put in my colorful salsa!!!




A simple garden, by a simple man and woman. 

But it's growing. 


By the grace of God, some great mushroom compost, so Jobe's plant food, and water, it's growing.

And honestly, if it hadn't been growing these past 3 months, I probably would've just given up watering it.

I guess that's my whole point:

How quick are we, as children of God, to give up? When we feel we aren't growing, and as our dry soul is begging to be quenched by the water, only God can give. How soon do we say "I'm done."

Equally, someone on the brink of knowing there is something bigger.

You can feel it. And as you gingerly put your big toe into the proverbial stream of belief of a God that is there, a Savior that is His Son, how quick are you to retreat? To draw back, at the first sound of an attack. Only to say in disbelief "See. Why would God do this? I knew it was safer not even thinking about this whole "Christianity" thing."

But that's just it:

Retreating yourself, versus allowing God to say "Take a break.", is the catalyst in anyone's life, where you either run away from God, or run to His rest. When we retreat ourselves, we miss out on the blessing of watching God fight for us. We gave up too soon. When we allow Him to say "Take a break." we see full circle the reason we are going through, whatever it is we're going through.

My "Take a break" has been my garden, and as it has slowly proved itself, I've been able to find joy in the middle of this chaos.

It used to be that I would control the situation. On more than one occasion, I took off my wedding rings, threw them at my husband, and said "I'm done!" I'd storm out of our first starter home, go to the back yard, adjacent to a growing field, and cry.

"I can't do this anymore, God! I said forever, but now I'm DONE. I made a mistake! I don't know what I want, but it's not THIS."

Me, reasoning with God, myself, justifying, angry, and not wanting to be consoled.

My heart burning in anger. My eyes burning from the salt of my tears. My throat aching as I tried to hold back crying.

The gentle breeze coaxing me to relax. To allow the cool breeze to aid in cooling my temper. Breathing deep, the smells of wheat growing, and fresh cut grass. I would clench my eyes shut, not wanting to believe that it would get better from there. "Knowing" that I could survive. I had done it before, why was this any different?

Then, as my words continuously spun through my head in a whirlwind, I allowed my eyes to open. Slowly, at first, allowing the light to adjust. My eyes would focus on two pieces of silver.

An engagement ring, and wedding band held firmly into the hand of an extended arm.

His long legs crossed, as he sat across from me, and his dark eyebrows furrowed, as he stared directly into my eyes.

"I said forever, Sierra. And I meant it. That's why I gave you these," he said, softly.

I took them back, and they glided onto my fingers as easily, as they did when I told him "I do."

Tears streamed down my face, as I said "I meant it, too."

A simple exchange, from two simple people.


I think back to then, "then" being 7 years ago. Our exchanges now are less of me throwing my rings, and more of us feeling the old cycle beginning, we both will draw back, as not to hurt each other. Then a few minutes later, come back together, agreeing that it was an attack, and it was not welcome in our marriage.

That's what I would consider growth.

Two shattered individuals picking up their own pieces, and shards of each other, carrying them to the foot of the cross, and saying "Lord, here we are. We're not much, but we know it's enough."

And as faithful as He was to make our paths cross, to take our brokenness, and turn into into something that could be used for His kingdom, He faithfully sews seeds into our hearts. He waters them, and delights in watching them grow. He plucks the weeds out of our soul that do not please Him.

Our selfishness,
Our pride,
Our reluctance,
Our fear.

He casts them away, and continues sewing seeds. He calls us His, and asks for our obedience.

"I will follow You, Lord."

Because if we allow the weed of fear into our heart, it will choke out our passions, our love, our excitement, our desires.

Fear is debilitating. But fear in God?

Liberating.

I've felt God speak two words, for the past month. I've brushed it off, in an effort to ignore His calling, allowing my fears to take over.

Be obedient.

Two simple words, for a simple woman.

Those two words spoken to my 19 year old, freshly married self, would have sent me into a tizzy. One full of arguing, justification, and resistance.

Now?

I silence myself, and say:

"I'll follow You, Lord."

I don't know where it'll lead, or what He's calling me too, but now, I don't care. I know He'll tell me when to suit up, and when to sit down. He'll retreat me, when I'm weary, and He'll revive me, when I need to march. He's stirring desires in my heart, that will make me "put myself out there", if you will. And to be hones, I'm scared. But I can quickly choose to to turn that fear into a fire. One that will cause me to fall more in love with Him, my husband, and my children. I trust that. I believe that.

That's growth.


Keep marching.




P.S. If you have any questions about the garden I'm growing, or the one He's growing in me, feel free to ask.




48 comments:

  1. To Sierra
    I would like to thank you for sharing your story with us I have followed your blog for some time and feel like I'm in your shoes now that you were 7 years ago. It's hard and messy to be in love but I'm counting down the days until I get to say "I do" to the gentle wave to my firey personality. Also hope you keep enjoying your relax garden!
    -soon to be Mrs. (And can't wait)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations!!! Praying blessings over you and yours!

      Delete
  2. That looks like an intense garden! Have you ever gone through a rough patch in life and tried to lean on God for help through the situation but it didn't seem to really make a difference? The last six months I've been suffering through an illness that made it so everything I had my identity in was taken away. So, I tried to put my identity in God and try to have more faith in Him and get strength in all aspects of life from Him, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I didn't know if you had any advice? Thank you for writing your blogs-they inspire me to keep trying to have a deeper faith in God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose my only encouragement to you is to trust God in the gray areas, as much as the colorful. Meaning, when life is going amazing, it's so easy to trust Him and thank Him. But when it's hard? How quick are we to wallow in ourselves, rather than keep our eyes fixed on Him? Keep marching, sweet friend!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post, Sierra. Thank you. I needed to hear these words.

    And I have to add, your garden looks absolutely stunning! (And the signs are so cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice post. Honest, relatable, real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    You garden looks great, I too love to garden. It can be so calming. I have to say though, I was surprised to see a post made on Sunday that did not mention the tragedy in Orlando. I have notice this similar silence on several popular Christian blogs and instagram accounts I follow and I am trying really hard not to read too much into this lack of commentary. I know that this was an lgbt club, however it was also the largest mass shooting in American history. So many innocent lives lost, so many hearts broken. It is my hope that this tragedy is receiving the same amount of support and prayer as it would had it been a heterosexual establishement. Interested in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern! Any life lost at the hands of a terrorist, is a life that was created by God. I have been praying for the families!

      Delete
  6. Its been awhile since Ive paged through the blogs I subscribe to. I have recently had our 5th daughter at 25years old and my husband and I are elbow deep in a church plant. Our newest daughter Katie Jo is so colicky and Ive come to the end of myself trying to figure out how to help her, changing my diet, trying bottles, pacifiers and different natural remedies to no avail. We also are feeling God telling us to move into a different place and my husband started a new job, its a transion period to say the least and the busiest season yet homeschooling and working at a local ministry. Ive been begging God to let lose some of the things he has called us to so that we can feel less chaotic but He keeps telling us to wait. Thats all he's been saying, wait. This post broke me. Obedience has been so hard in the throws of a screaming 2 month old. Im exhausted and my emotions have not been kind. Ive been trying so hard to white knuckle His promises because I know I cant trust how I feel. Thank you so much for this perspective.
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole. Your words really touched a chord in my heart as I have been there too, with my middle son and well remember the tiredness and stress. Some advice from a friend helped to diagnose him with reflux and after a trip to the doctor to get Infant Gaviscon the relief was instant (for both him and me!). I hope that you have friends and/or family to help you through this and that your little girl feels better soon. Best wishes from England. God bless you, Sarah

      Delete
    2. My son had Colic as well! Here's some good news, Nicole, I researched colic (like a crazy person when I was up every night at 3 a.m. With a screaming baby), they usually grow out of it between months 4-6. KEEEP GOING. You're doing an AMAZING job! Mommyhood is so hard, but remember that Joy does come in the morning! Sometimes after several cups of coffee, but it will come! Feel free to email me, so I can be praying with you! dojosdesigns@yahoo.com

      Delete
  7. Hi Sierra, your garden is beautiful. What a great economical way to eat healthy organic food. Do you homeschool all the children? If so, I bet this was a fun biology lesson for them.
    Where did you get the templates for the signs? And how do you keep them water proof?
    Thanks for the post, and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your questions! I actually made my signs, and laminated them, so they were waterproof! I used an app called Rhonna designs, and designed them myself!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your post, it was heartfelt and honest. I wonder though, do you think Christians put too many rules upon themselves in order to appear obedient to God? Seems like there is the typical checklist: homeschooling, wearing skirts, not cutting hair, not using birth control, no alcohol, no swearing, no TV, and on and on. But didn't Jesus come to abolish legalism and all those rules? I personally struggle with all these rules and would love to hear your thoughts on this. What does obedient meant to you? Do you ever struggle with the rules? Or do the rules help keep you in line with God's word?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is something I've been struggling with too! I'm seconding this comment, I would love to hear your perspective Sierra.

      Delete
    2. Here's my view on "convictions": Ask God. Literally ask Him the words "Lord is there anything in my life that is displeasing to You?" Do some people go overboard with their convictions? Not sure! If they feel that's what is best for their family, and they've sought God, that's their choices. I've got my own reasons for my choices. And I cut my hair and watch T.V. :)

      Delete
  9. One of the best quotes I've ever heard on this subject is "following Jesus isn't just about following a bunch of rules, but it's nothing less." What it comes down to is a heart issue. You don't follow because you have to in order to gain favor, that would make the cross void. However you follow out of a heart of love and devotion. Because you want to, His desires become yours. Hope this helped a little. I could go on and on on this topic but sometimes less is more. Great thoughts and questions I know we have all asked and wondered about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. And there are different levels of obedience - take the Amish for example, they take all the "rules" to the extreme. Modesty in the strictest sense. However, they do not homeschool. They also do no use any forms of social media, TV, etc. They have A LOT of rules.
      Sometimes I see Christians comparing themselves - how obedient are you? Oh you wear pants, must not be as obedient to the modesty rule. Oh you use birth control, not "christian" enough.
      So, the question is: What does obedience look like in a tangible form? How do we witness in the physical sense? This is a great discussion, thank you.

      Delete
  10. It looks amazing hope this dry summer hasn't taken a toll on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden looks so cute, Sierra! No strawberries though? :)

    Reading through the comments, I think people (myself included) are curious about how you made the transition from a secular lifestyle to a Christian one. It's one thing to grow up in a strict Christian home - Duggars, Bates, Kellers. It's another to CHOOSE to OBEY all the Christian rules/guidelines. It is much harder!! Is that what you mean by struggling with obedience? Which rules/guidelines did you and your husband decide to follow for your home? It is so hard to put yourself out there but we need more Christian role models, so thank you for sharing your heart. "A love that multiplies" was a wonderful guide for me, but it would be great to hear which rules/guidelines bring you closer to the Lord. Thank you and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No amount of rules or guidelines bring me closer to God. I am close to Him because I'm His. The end. It's just that I've only got one shot at this life, and if really like to honor Him the best way I can: by seeking His will for my life. And by "being obedient struggles" I'm referring to a project I feel like He's calling out of me.

      Delete
  12. Hi Sierra
    I am considering starting a blog and I absolutely love yours!
    Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't pay for it! Plenty of free resources to get you up and going! And let God lead you!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully written Sierra. I have gone through exactly what you've described (taking off the rings, throwing them and saying - seriously, I didn't sign up for this and I'M DONE.) I've learnt that, that is not the way. I'm also now learning to always pray and believe that God gave us each other for a reason. Thanks once again, for your honesty.

    Beautiful garden by the way. I like the five live statues as well. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just read your you matter Monday post. While it great what you and your children are doing you might try and be more humble with it. It seems (whether you mean to or not) that you want glory for what you are doing instead of God getting the glory. You go on and on about how you did this and how you did that. Instead of keeping it simple saying God wants us to bless others. Just might just take a step back and remember we do these things for God. Not ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your encouraging words. It was not a goal of mine to appear prideful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All those raised beds! They look awesome! And so weed free :-) My garden is a jungle right now, but I love it just the same. If you want to visit I did a recent garden tour here http://www.townsend-house.com/2016/07/a-garden-tour-week-eight.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sierra, I'd love to hear more about you and your family and your walk with God. Please write more! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sierra, I appreciate your honesty. Thank you for giving us a glimpse into your beautiful life! It really is an encouragement.
    Just another perspective on your You Matter Monday posts... I think it's wonderful! I know it's been an inspiration to me. It's great to see that even the smallest gesture can mean the most. Keep up the good work! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! We're all called to make a difference! Thank you for your words of encouragement!

      Delete
  20. What an encouraging post. Thanks for sharing!I'm going through a growing season in my life right now as well. We just had our second child and I had to go back to work this week. I'm ready to be a stay at home mom but the Lord has told me to wait on Him. Thankful that we have a guide through life all we have to do is follow Him in obedience. Again thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley,

      You're very brave. It's so challenging to have to wait on God, but then you look back and realize WHY He makes us wait sometimes! Praying for your family! God bless!

      Delete
  21. What an encouraging post. Thanks for sharing!I'm going through a growing season in my life right now as well. We just had our second child and I had to go back to work this week. I'm ready to be a stay at home mom but the Lord has told me to wait on Him. Thankful that we have a guide through life all we have to do is follow Him in obedience. Again thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok so I stumbled upon your blog today (and by stumble I mean I see you on instagram all the time and thought I best check it out). I just need to say I Soooo needed to hear this hahah. I work with high needs families and the past two days have been very very taxing! It was great to see your loving of the garden... nothing brings me more peace then stumbling around the yard tidying and pruning and watering. it's where I can be me and just chill and be in the garden growing food for my family. so Sierra what I need to say is I GET IT!! its a different level of therapy and its divine for sure. I'm also about to get married in a month so theres that. we were not raised in a godly homes and we have had to find god together which is amazing. we are going on being together for 8 years and understand the struggle marriage faces. one thing I have learned and has served me well is never say anything you don't mean to be final. My hubby to be was in a bad relationship pervious to me and he made that clear in the beginning if you threaten to leave then pack up and go, that's really important to him and I have learned to respect that. but it's all learning right we all get there in time. thank you for being a great example for positivity in our world and you are making a difference for sure. If you have a chance check out my blog as well http://alifeingod.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an incredible testimony! Keep your eyes fixed on God! He is sooooo faithful!

      Delete
  23. Hello Sierra!

    I just wanted to say... This post was so encouraging! I really needed these words and was actually wondering if there was any way I could contact you to talk to you about something. You've been such an inspiration to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abigail! Feel free to email me at dojosdesigns@yahoo.com !

      Delete
  24. So I love your blog. and I know you have 5 kiddos but seriously I'm gonna need a post soon hahahahah. you motivate me to keep living with Christ. Know you are making a difference!!! no Pressure. but I do love the posts hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine,

      Hahahah You're too sweet! All glory goes to God! :) Thank you for your sweet words!

      Delete
  25. Sierra, my name is Cindy (Motley) Hann. I was your 6th grade teacher. The first time I saw you on 19 Kids, I checked with Lauren to see if it was you. You have grown up to be a true Woman of God. I am so proud of you!! I enjoy reading your blog. What an encouragement you are to others. Love to see your bubbly personality on Counting On. Hope you are on some more as you are so genuine on the show. I will continue to pray for you and your precious little family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELLOOOO!!!!

      Oh my goodness! Best Day EVER!

      Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Mrs. Cindy!

      Thank you for your prayers! I would love to grab coffee with you sometime!

      Delete
  26. What beautiful children. Love, love, love seeing those precious faces and hearing about them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete