Friday, March 17, 2017

A prideful, broken plate.


There it is. The second dish that has broke, in the past month. There are probably more, that I'm blocking from my memory...

In the midst of going to pick up the pieces of this colorful serving dish, I stopped. There I was, on my hands and knees, frozen for a moment. 

I'm this plate.

I'm broken, too. 

It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to decipher how I drew that conclusion. You want to hear something I'm not proud of? My frustration. My moments of using harsh words, throughout the given day. This day was no different, and my reaction, 2 minutes previous, was just the same:

"Daylon! Your hands were too full! If you would've just slowed down, this plate would not be broken! This was one of my favorite plates, and now it's broken! What do you need to say?!"

"I'm sorry, Momma. Would you please forgive me?"

His big brown eyes were a window into the guilt he carried. 

"You're forgiven, and you're loved, Daylon. Please be more careful."

But you know what?

At 11:45 p.m. last night, I had to seek forgiveness from my 5 year old. 

"Hey buddy, you remember when that dish broke, and I said your hands were too full?"

Guilt flooded his face, again. 

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to know what Momma did wrong?"

He perked up a little, inquisitively.

"What?"

"I spoke harshly. I shouldn't have blamed you for it. The real reason I was so upset, was because that was from Aunt Lake, and I really loved that little plate. But guess what?"

"What?"

"It was an accident,"

Relief flooded his face. 

"And that plate is nothing compared to how much you mean to me. You are a gift to our family, and I'm so proud of you being able to unload the dishwasher. I'm so sorry that I spoke harshly, would you please forgiv-"

"You're forgiven!"

Before I could even finish my statement, he forgave, and wrapped his arms around my neck. 

Then Khai, our sound, logical 6 year old, after witnessing both the "incident", and the forgiveness, chimed in.

"You know, Mom? You never even used that plate very often."

My flesh wanted to tell him "Yes, because it's for special occasions."

But my heart, and mouth, uttered the words "You're right, buddy."

It's just a broken plate. 




- - -




The guilt that breaks me? That keeps me up until 3 a.m. typing this?

What if God reacted to us, the way I reacted to Daylon?

Do you realize how much junk I carry, like old suitcases, dropping it in front of God?

What if He harshly told me "The reason you're broken is because you're carrying too much! If you would just slow down, this wouldn't have happened!"

I, being discouraged, would start picking the suitcases up, to get my ugly brokenness away from God. 

But instead?

God gingerly picks up each individual piece, and lovingly, with a firm, steady hand, begins putting the pieces back together. He sees a broken plate as an adventure, a time to refine, heal, restore. I, in my own small-minded logic, see a broken plate as a nuisance, a disappointment, an eyesore. 

I am a nuisance, a disappointment, an eyesore.

But rather than tossing me out with the garbage, He takes my jagged edges, and sands them down, until they're smooth. He takes even the teeniest, tiniest shard, and adds it to the million reasons that make me, me. 

And at the end of the restoration, there are scars, but all He sees was the beauty He originally designed. 

You're ready. Go and serve.

You see, pride is an ugly, ugly menace.

It creeps in, by the name of Justification, and it pushes out sound logic.

It is without a doubt, something I struggle with. 

Which is why, on my fridge, in my children's bathroom, in my bathroom, and so on, you'll see these words:

"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:29-32"

I've printed them, and hung them all around my house, so that I'd remember:

I am that broken plate.

In need of grace, and forgiveness. 

If you struggle with pride, or being harsh, I'm going to urge you to remember:

You're not alone. 

The lies the enemy wants you to believe are:

1. You don't need to seek forgiveness.
or
2. If you did seek forgiveness, the recipient wouldn't truly forgive you. 

With that visual, I want you to picture a child leaping from a seated position, wrapping his arms tightly around you, and whispering "You're forgiven."

When we truly humble ourselves, we're truly forgiven. 

God knows our heart.

If you're a Momma of littles, and this typical day resonates beautifully with you, I'm going to challenge you to remember the words our Creator has given us:

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry."

(Again, one that I have all over my house.)

I don't want to disappoint my son, like I did today. 

But even more so, I don't want to disappoint God. So when I fail, when I'm weak, when I'm broken, I'll choose to quickly seek forgiveness. 

And when I'm told "You're forgiven."?

I'll extend that same grace and forgiveness to myself. 

If there is one thing that the enemy loves most, it's Mom-guilt. 

Last night, as I went out for ice cream, with a mentor and fellow Momma friend, she shared with me,

"Sierra, looking back there were many times I was quick to speak harshly. I reacted to my then, teenager totally different than how I react now. I should've done better, and been more patient."

She said all of this, not knowing the day I just had. Tears welled up, and my throat had a lump in it. I shared with her, the same I just shared with you. I'm so thankful for a loving friend, that agreed that Mom-ing is TOUGH, but choosing the hard road? The road of forgiving and being forgiven, it's actual freedom. 

If there's one thing I want to charge you with:

You are enough, in Christ.

You will fail. 

Sally Clarkson wrote it best, "Sometimes we will fail, everyday, but that does not make us a failure."

We get back up, seek forgiveness, and keep marching. 

My joy in this, was the warmth from my son, as he hugged me. Similar to the warmth of a sunny day, when we feel like we're being kissed, by the Son. 

Choose joy, sweet friends. Speak life, dear Momma's. And Keep. Marching.



Dear Gracious Heavenly Father, 

I thank You for this day. We know that this is the day You have made, and we shall rejoice and be glad in it. I'm thankful for Your ever-present promptings. The ones that find us, and challenge us to do better. I thank you that I'll never be perfect, but the example you set for us to aim towards, was perfect. I thank you that You've taken my brokenness, time and time again, and simply put the pieces back together, and restored me. I thank You for the forgiveness You offer us all, and pray if there is someone in need of the words 'You're forgiven.", that they'd seek You, Lord. You are a good Father. And I praise You for what You've blessed us with, and for what You've taken away. I know that there is safety, and protection, when You tell me "No." or "Not right now." I ask forgiveness for the sins I've committed to this day. In Jesus' name. Amen. 



Much love to you all. <3

24 comments:

  1. Good job Momma!! There is a huge lesson in life where children eventually realize their parents are human and flawed. in these moments it is a wonderful learning experience that even with imperfection life is wonderful and there is always love to be shared. A lesson some children in our society only learn upon adulthood and that can be tough. Be able to be a child and being able to know flaws but learn forgiveness and in turn how to respect is an amazing lesson. Good job Momma. It can take a big person to own their mistakes and account for them. Good for you. You are an inspiration to us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! Yesterday at practice I got frustrated with my teammates for they weren't listening and my coach was mad a me for not leading the team effectively. I used harsh words..... later into practice I had to swallow my pride and ask everyone for forgiveness. It's a humbling thing to do. Asking for forgiveness. Thank you for sharing for this reminded me that today, when I get frustrated I am going to be patient. I am going to be slow to anger. And through God's grace, I will try my hardest to show love at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Miss Sierra. Thanks once again for this beautiful reminder. Grace be unto you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From a Mama miles away in Georgia, thank you. I thank God he allowed me to find your blog. I am a stay at home mother to the most kind-hearted two year old little boy and a very sweet but sassy 10 month old princess. They are my most precious blessings on this earth, but that doesn't mean I always "mom" right. Your words are a help to me in the moments I've let ME get the best of me and not GOD. I, too, am thankful for forgiveness and sweet restoration that only comes from above. Thank you for being real and honest. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this and you are such a great mom honey, love you bunches and bunches, just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tears. Thank you for your honesty and transparency. As a Mama of 4 littles, my heart needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank-you Sierra, you have touched my soul with your sweet spirit. Life is good, we must thank our ever loving Heavenly Father for that. Keep writing as you are directed, you are an incredible inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really wanted to read this but I can't see it well because of the color of the type against the background. Is there anything I can do to make it easier to read? The left side is totally lost on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes... yes.... yes... I don't know why but this made me cry feeling convicted! Tgank you for the good Word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing and a reminder to be patient. Keep writing you are a blessing for us moms all over the world. God bless you Sierra! Gods zegen from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Sierra, I thoroughly loved your blog. Don't beat yourself up over this, it has happened to all of us mamas. The main thing is that you showed your son that even adults make mistakes & ask forgiveness. That is the most important lesson that he will take from this. I too go to bed sometimes at night replaying the conversations in my head that went on that day between me & my two daughters ages 14 & 16 & think that maybe I could have handled that situation better. Mom guilt is a real thing. You truly are an inspiration to me, sharing your honest experiences in life with us. it makes me want to be a better person for myself and my family and to bring us all closer to God.

    Thank you so much, you have truly touched my heart & soul this morning as I read your blog. I look forward to reading more. You are such an eloquent writer, truly gifted. You should pursue this professionally some day.

    I am from Newfoundland, Canada

    Take care & as you say Keep Marching!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a super serious question. I don't need a reply. I don't need all your friends rallying for support. But my question is super serious because it does involve pride. And since you brought up the topic of pride, it's what prompted me to think about this. What you speak of is one TYPE of pride. There are many more. But can there also be pride in preaching about pride? Can there be pride about keeping a blog about oneself? Can there be pride in story telling? And can there be a very hidden deep pride, in the positive comments that come in boosting the ego? Can pride also be found in a "positive" "righteous response towards pride" ? I have always wondered why Christians keep blogs? What is the deep seeded , hidden, agenda does the heart have that feels the need to have to be seen and heard? You know we live in an age that didn't even exist 20 yrs ago. We live in an age that compels us to speak, self elevate, self promote. We have become our own idolaters of self. If we add God to our posts it somehow justifies our words or voice. First response out of my mouth and anyone else would be a justification of purpose. So the statement that caused me to think was this: "It creeps in, by the name of Justification, and it pushes out sound logic." I was curious, by your own comment, because if I asked you my pending thoughts, would you, justify your reasons for keeping a blog and push out truth?would you justify your blog/Instagram/FB as not a prideful outlet? Being honest about a lesson God taught you, doesn't seem to be prideful but it actually is. It is a deep seated pride that comes from the depths of our deceitful heart. I wish social media didn't exist, sometimes. Because then moments like yours above would remain between you and God, husband, and maybe a few close friends. I believe we are in the age of " in the last days people will be lovers of self". I don't need a response. But I would ask you to think on these things. If God were to say lay down your blog, could you?could you get off social media? Or would your pride justify it? I am asking because you only touched on a "milky" version of pride, and the meat of the word, would be to apply it in a harder deeper form. Oh, I don't praise people , because others do that. I just want to ask the hard questions because that is where rubber meets the road.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I truly believe that if people don't have anything nice to say then they should keep negative comments to themselves. This sweet woman is sharing her experiences with us & we are all relating to her & it really is bringing us all closer to God. If you don't like it, then just don't read it. But don't try to tear someone down, its not Christian like at all.
    Please keep writing Sierra & Keep Marching!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy tone and context are hard to get across on here. My questions are legitimate. Why can't we think deeper beyond what was written. She touched on pride. Pride is a huge massive issue we all struggle with. Why can't a person expound more deeply on a subject? Sierra said she struggles with pride. Satan got sent away from God for eternity for it. I think it is a valuable subject. Pharisees were constantly challenged by Jeses. Christians are told not to be like them. Many many many times we are admonished NO?t TO BE LIKE them. So why can't it be discussed? Does nobody ever question? Why can't we question? Why can't deeper thought be put into something? It doesn't negate the story she shared it doesn't devalue her experience. It just pushes the thought further along the road. Does nobody ask hard questions anymore? Does no one require pushing through one area? Why not? Because it makes us uncomfortable? It pushes buttons? Pride is a huge issue for Christians. It should be. An angel got banished from heaven for eternity for it. I think it is quite serious. I just really cannot fathom why when someone asks hard questions. Makes the dialogue a bit deeper that person is immediately told to hush up and go away? Is this what the church has become? Has it become a place where we can't march on to greater glory. We can't March on to better understanding? We can't March on to hard topics? If this was a ladies bible study could it not be discussed? Where is room for thought? Paul said to press on to perfection. Paul said he was changed from image to image glory to glory. In my mind that is changing from sin that has captivated us and moving on to a better image of Christ getting rid of our old image and changing to a new one til we die and hopefully that image changes to be more and more like Christ. If we can't ask the hard things that cause change then how is our image to change to be more like Christ? If someone like you Sierra brings up a topic or an issue such as pride, why can't it be discussed? I think those are fair questions. Look at the day and age we live in!! Somebody must be thinking about it. I sure do. And if we cannot discuss or we get offended at every turn what is it in us that gets mad? What is it in us that gets offended? What is it in us that responds emotionally so much so that we can't look deeper into what the person wrote.? If our senses were offended then the problenm lays with us and we don't have the humility to understand or want to understand the content. It hurts our pride. It makes us contend with our sin. As Christians we should have enough humility to discuss with out telling someone to buzz off. Look at Jesus he offended the scribes and Pharisees all the time, because Jesus hit them in their pride. They eventually killed him for it. Now I am not Jesus but human nature is the same. We say buzz off nicely, then we say God bless you, I'll pray for you. If we were honest with ourselves we have no intention to pray for them. And we really don't mean God bless you. It is said in self righteousness. Another form of pride. See it's every where!! And Christians must be open to God convicting us of it in everything. Even blogs, even social media. It's called pressing on to the goal or as Sierra says marching on.

      Delete
  14. Just gonna throw this out there because you all probably think I am a demon to torment you, or some horrible horrible person,. My intent is to cause you to think. That's why God gave us a brain. If the comment section is open, why is it open? Is it open to discuss? Or praise? Paul the apostle, John were sticklers, for receiving praise from men and I think the issue with social media, is that it pushes a person up higher on that perch than they ought to be. Take note again in scripture. John 5:41
    I do not accept glory from men,

    John 5:44
    How can you believe if you accept glory from one another, yet do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?
    1 Thess 2:6 New International Version
    We were not looking for praise from people, not from you or anyone else, even though as apostles of Christ we could have asserted our authority.

    Now before you go wanting to scratch my eyes out for saying all this. Take head from an older mom who had a blog, well let's just say God allowed me to fall off my self imposed perch, in actuality a very high ladder. I actually used a wall for leverage and pushed myself right off the top into a door frame. Which broke the ball of my humorous , dislocated my shoulder, and sat in the ER for almost five hours waiting. Needless to say my writing hand, arm was completely immobile for 3 months and it took a year to type for more than five minutes. Literally and figuratively speaking God had me fall off my ladder of pride I had built for myself again literally, in renovating a home, and blogging about it. To speak to me about my own deep seated pride. So Sierra before you want to go push me off another ladder I encourage you to take head. Listen to an older mom, think about everything, use everything God brings you, even if it pisses you off. Even if it pisses your readers off. Listen to the Holy Spirit tugging at areas that make you feel mad or uncomfortable. Take it from a woman who God had to quite literally knock off a ladder. And who is reminded daily by an arm and shoulder that never lets her forget his discipline and mercy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to start by negating a few of your comments:

      1.) I don't think you're "some demon". I think you're someone who sees thing as very black and white.

      2.) I actually agree with the majority of what you said, in regards to a need for a Christian to humble themselves.

      3.) If I wanted the negativity to not appear on my page, I wouldn't have the comments enabled. I delete comments for 2 reasons: 1. Someone accidentally hit enter twice, and the comment posted twice, or 2. Someone gets on here and says something vulgar or inappropriate.

      4.) I can assure you there have been many occasions where I've had to "speak the truth in love" to people, and it wasn't sugar coated.

      I don't feel compelled to share my life with people because I think I'm this amazing person. I share my life with people because God is amazing. I AM a Gomer, a Rahab, a broken shell of a human being that was incredibly caught up in running far from God. I have been blogging for almost 6 years. My posts only go back 2 years. Why, you may ask? Because I was encouraged by an elder in the church we worked in to take it down. I respected her immensely, and prayed about it. I talked to my panel of accountability, and shared why I was going to take it down. Some didn't think it was necessary, but respected my decision.

      So I took it down, and look back at the files often. Mostly in awe of how immaturely I wrote, but also thankful for the STOP sign I was clearly given, by God.

      I think the encouraging thing through all of that was when I felt a peace, from God, about starting to blog again. It was scary, and pushed me to seek Him. What does God want on the waves of the internet? If we're given an opportunity to speak Life into someone, and we ignore it, because some deem a blog as prideful, isn't that devaluing this massive God we serve? To say that He's not in it, or that if someone is blogging specifically on the wrestling match that we do with God, that is the definition of a Pharasee? I truly feel that's limiting God, and what He can do with His people.

      If I got on here and touted some boisterous opinion about why God values me above others, then yes, I'd agree that there would be some serious issues.

      I'm literally just a Mom. Flawed. Broken. Failing everyday.

      I have dreams, passions, and hearts desires that I feel God is using this blog to refine me with, before those dreams come to pass.

      Id like to thank you for your opinion. It is of value. I can assure you, you matter. The teeny tiny part of your entire testimony that you shared with a stranger proves your willingness to be vulnerable. Your willingness to extend a caution. I see it, and thank you for the caution.

      Whatever opportunity I'm given. Whether it be on tv, a blog, running into a stranger in Walmart, I have one of two choices: Speak life, or speak death.

      I have a peace, as of yet, to continue blogging about the goodness, of God. Even when He says "No.", I want my children, my husband, and people I don't even know to hear me say "But I will still praise Him."

      Just as iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of another man. Proverbs 27:17

      Thank you, again, and I pray God blesses you. (Genuinely.)

      Delete
  15. Thank you Sierra, for humbling yourself through this post. It is not easy to share raw emotions and experiences, but through it we can see the grace of God shining through. It is amazing how God is using you in this blogging ministry! You are an encouragement to many. I pray that God will continue to give you the strength and joy each day to keep marching <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise the Lord! Thank you for the sweet words!

      Delete
  16. Thank you for responding. That's great. Discussion is great. I want to leave you with, a guy whom I have listened to for about 5 -6 years. He is from India and it took me awhile to realize he addresses things with a cultural nuance that is different than in North America. He is a straight bullet. I listen to a variety of people who create a balance. But you referenced me being black and white. In actuality I am only black and white in a few areas. Understanding Sin is one of them. I have sought out people online who are not afraid to address these issues because they are not afraid of not pleasing the masses. They are more concerned with God than a pastor who is worried about preaching something that might "hurt" the peoples feelings. Or a pastor who is worried about keeping his job thus kotowing to the board of deacons when God is really speaking something. They are all said in deep humility and not accusingly. Something of which I am learning. But anyhow when it comes to pride, I can't see it as being black and white in the terms of it being a negative aspect. God hates it. so I will leave this here and hopefully you can read it. All of us need to read it. http://www.cfcindia.com/60-pride Above all, thank you for your response.

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://www.cfcindia.com/39-jesus-was-unpopular

    I hope you will read this, I just read it and was blown away. I have never read it before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You gave a fantastic response. I so enjoy your blog and your humility and honesty! You're a role model, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Because you are a caring mama and a Pinterest user, are you familiar with this? www.vaccine-injury.info (There tons of info on there and even one for NWA.) Don't want anything to hurt your beautiful babies.

    ReplyDelete